English soccer club Tottenham Hotspur have denied reports, which have claimed that the Premier League outfit’s new stadium will not be ready to host competitive action until 2019.
The dismissal of the claims follows an in-depth special report from industry publication Construction News, which has accused the stadium constructors of running a project riddled with chaos and lacking in communication. One insider even suggested that he would not be surprised if the club “wrote off the season” at their new venue.
The article claims that numbers have been cut at the site since it was first announced by Spurs chairman Daniel Levy that the venue’s opening would be delayed until the end of October.
An unnamed insider told Construction News that the structure and pace of the task had improved in recent weeks, with greater attention to detail coinciding with the drop in the amount of workers on-site.
A spokesperson for the London club refuted the stories released by Construction News, telling Sky Sports News on Wednesday: ”We have always said that we would issue updates for test events and official opening as soon as we have confidence in our project managers' and contractors' ability to deliver against the revised scheduled of works.
“This remains the case and speculating on unsupported dates such as this is irresponsible.”
Tottenham announced the initial delays to the new stadium in August, citing issues with critical safety systems. Since then, the club has played its home matches at Wembley – where Spurs played last season during the new ground’s construction.
However, with England’s national stadium unavailable on 26th September in the aftermath of Anthony Joshua’s heavyweight fight with Alexander Povetkin, Spurs’ Carabao Cup fixture at home to Watford will take place at Stadium MK, the home of League Two team Milton Keynes Dons.
On the field, Spurs have enjoyed a mixed start to the season, winning their first three games before losing their last three matches.