Major League Baseball Advanced Media was created around the turn of the century to build websites for baseball teams. Today it is a company operating at the bleeding edge of digital streaming technology, providing services not just to sport but across the television and entertainment industries.
Speaking to Eoin Connolly between a blockbuster deal with the NHL and the likely multi-billion dollar spin-off of its third-party operation, MLBAM president and chief executive Bob Bowman talks about the history, culture and future of one of sport’s most striking modern success stories.
Elsewhere in the issue:
- Baseball is moving closer to a return to the Olympic, alongside softball, in 2020, but courting the IOC is only one part of its international strategy. Ahead of its inaugural edition in Japan and Taiwan in November, Michael Long finds out more about the Premier12, the new showcase for national team’s from baseball and softball’s global federation, the WBSC.
- French agency giant Lagardère has faced mounting competition from both sides of the Atlantic in recent years but now it is regrouping and fighting back. James Emmett talks to chief operating officer Andrew Georgiou and North American chief Andy Pierce about the launch of Lagardère Sports and Entertainment, which draws together the various elements of an international empire.
- The mass participation sector has proved increasingly reliable in recent years and now it is diversifying to meet new demand. On tour at OC Sport’s Haute Route Pyrenees and in conversation with Infront’s Hans-Peter Zurbruegg, Adam Nelson tries to keep up with those setting the pace.
- Cornerstone Sport & Entertainment founder Bunty Sajdeh is one of India’s foremost agents and represents the man who has become the country’s biggest sports star, Test cricket captain Virat Kohli. He reveals how Indian sport can catch up to its international peers, and to Bollywood, in terms of media profile and sophistication.
- And there’s a look inside the performance technology sector with the United States Olympic Committee’s Mounir Zok, Cronulla Sharks chief executive Lyall Gorman discusses the National Rugby League team’s restoration after recent controversies, and former England cricketer Matt Prior explains his ground-breaking new venture, One Pro Cycling.
The new issue is out now and you can get a copy here.